Foundation Governors – St Laurence’s School
The PCC of St Laurence’s Church is looking to nominate two foundation governors to join the local governing body at St Laurence’s CE Primary School from September 2020.
The particular responsibilities of a Foundation Governor are:
- To ensure the guiding principles of the founding church are embedded within all aspects of school life;
- To to ensure the terms of the trust deed governing the school are adhered to;
- To understand policies on RE, collective worship, spiritual development;
- To understand the importance of the school’s foundation and ethos;
- To understand the purpose of the Statutory Inspection of Anglican and MethodistSchools (SIAMS) inspection and what it is looking at and for.
The commitment of a Foundation Governors is for a period of 3 years and involves:
- Participation in 6 governor meetings per academic year. These currently take place on Monday evenings from 6-8pm and include:
- Receiving and reviewing agenda papers by email in advance of the meeting
- Attendance at each meeting and contributing your skills & experience where invited to speak by the Chair.
- Leading Christian prayer at the start & end of the meeting at the invitation of the Chair
- Taking governor responsibility for one or more areas of school development through governor monitoring, in school visits & meetings with the Headteacher and other senior staff.
- Supporting the wider life of the school in the community, especially at special or seasonal events.
The Diocese Board of Education have put together a helpful guide setting out the role and responsibilities of Foundation Governor’s in Church of England Schools in the Diocese.
You can read more about the life of St Laurence’s school on the school website here
Applications for the nomination process of Foundation Governors are now open.
We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates as BAME and disabled people are currently under-represented across the Diocese of Coventry.
To apply for this role:
Please complete the following application form in and return to Rev Gareth Irvine by 24th August 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org (if completed digitally) or to St Laurence’s Church, Old Church Road, Coventry CV6 7ED (in paper form). Please send an email to confirm you have sent it via post. Please note: successful nominations will require a current (update service) or new DBS check.
If you would like further information through an informal discussion, please contact:
St Laurence’s CE Primary School Chair of Governors – Mr Nigel Chilvers Nigel.Chilvers@stlaurences.covmat.org
Diocesan Board of Education Executive Assistant & Governance Officer – Helen Gibson email@example.com